Meeting called to order at 8:05 by Clerk Toni Williamson with the Pledge of Allegiance. Motioned and passed to have Glen Williamson act as Moderator.
Present at the meeting was Marge and Eldon Schmedeke, Park Pallow, Frank Rehberger, Treasurer, Patrice Winfield, Clerk Toni Williamson and Supervisors Gary Vink and Glen Williamson, Sr.
Road Report for 2010 – Gary Vink
- Duncan Road Not much for Road Inspection except lot on Duncan. Road conditions do not allow much work due to it being too wet. The large truck could not get in. Gravel haulers have been contacted and said they may be able to work there when the road freezes. Has had no answer to date. Hopefully he will hear from them this year.
- Lost River Road Some gravel on small potholes taken care of by the blade.
- Mink Farm T&T did some damage with dozer and truck. They will use their escrow. They were advised to wait and do all roads at once so we can get a cheaper rate.
- Dollar Lake Road Returned Moske escrow because there were no damages. Gary and Glen did inspection.
- Mayfield Carlson dozed snow off, not enough to bring grader. Road inspection will check for damage.
- Little Tamarack Letter written to Paul (Clerk) for form to fill out. Paul said it is $500 and to have them contact him. No activity to date. Told work cannot be done without permission. Escrow was used in past from previous logger. No road work should be done until Road Manager knows.
- Short Road Returned T&T’s escrow, no apparent damage.
- Wilma Fall Fest Festival did not go over $400 budget. Patrice will make new code so the codes don’t get mixed together. Motioned to keep $400 budget by Toni, seconded by Patrice. Motion passed.
- Town Hall Doors There was some discussion on the doors. Per Gary and Mark, the doors will be done by the end of March 2011.
- Road and Bridge Raised to $16,000 from $15,000. Calculation is based on population and it is mandatory. Eldon said it is difficult to believe we have to raise it and it is wrong to mandate. Gary responded that it is a county/state issue and we would get fined. Glen explained that we are taxed the minimum. Remains at $16,000. Eldon said they will hear from him.
Building Fund Gary suggested fund at $1,200 because the garage needs repair. Patrice said we could take the money out of Road and Bridge and not get into gas tax and use that if Building Fund is lowered. Glen said it will take more and it will be consistent. After discussion, Eldon suggested it be set at $600. There was more discussion and Eldon made a motion to set it at $600, seconded by Patrice. Motion passed.
- Fire Fund. Was raised to $4,500. Patrice said Fire Department is raising their dues. Eldon noted we are a small township, why do we need to do it. There was discussion of space vs. population and we need to check population to see if it should be $4,500. Motion by Mark to pay $4,500. Patrice said each department has its’ own equipment. Gary said Sandston was dropped because the other townships help and the base payment has stayed the same for five years. We have more manpower working with the other Townships. Gary seconded Marks motion, it was passed.
- Park Fund. Hole in the culvert was not badly damaged and Gary repired it. Motion to keep fund at $500, seconded by Gary, motion passed.
- General Fund. Eldon suggested we cut this back to $5,000. Glen noted when compared to the Federal level we are not borrowing it. Eldon motioned to lower General Fund to $5,000. Discussion included Glen noting that we have not wasted funds, this is why we have so much and it prepares us to self finance. Patrice said as of 2010 we were at $18,000+ and ended up with $12,000. If we cut it, it will be less again. Marge seconded Eldon’s motion to reduce to $5,000, motion was defeated. Mark motioned to set at $10,000; it was seconded by Gary with two opposed. Motion passed.
- Salaries Motion by Eldon to keep same, seconded by Patrice and motion passed.
- Mileage. Mileage is tied to the Federal rate of 50 cents per mile. Gary said he had heard it has gone up to 51 cents and motion should be to keep mileage at the Federal rate. Eldon motioned to keep mileage at the Federal tax rate. Gary seconded and motion passed.
- Snowplowing Eldon motioned to keep the same. Gary noted that fuel is going up. Patrice requested that Mark break down work done between roads and driveways, she said otherwise it is difficult to keep track. Eldon noted we had a lot plowed this year and we will lose out if we have less snow. It was noted that the asterisk noting size of driveways be included in the motion. Patrice asked why we are plowing one non-resident and Gary said this is done to avoid lawsuit threats. Glen suggested non-resident plowing all be done on a case by case basis. Eldon’s motion was seconded by Patrice, with notice regarding prices for over 700ft and those under. (See Proposed Budget for breakdown on items with asterisk at bottom of the page). Motion was passed.
It was brought up by Patrice that we need a hard wired lighting system in the bathhouse. Eldon says he will not use it as he likes washing hands (there is hand sanitizer provided). Motioned by Patrice and seconded by Toni to have lighting installed in the bathroom. Motion passed.
It was motioned by Toni to continue to have notices published in the Pine County Courier and the Evergreen. Seconded by Patrice and motion passed.
It was suggested that we only post on Town Hall. Eldon motioned and seconded by Patrice. Motion passed.
Eldon says Gary is doing a good job, but he hopes to save tax money and roads are his main concern. Gary said when road inspections are done they check conditions of roads so contract work can be done. Gary will put more gravel on N Duncan road when not so wet. It was asked if townships could get together and wire a logger to cut small trees by the road to clear six feet. Glen sid they will bring matter to the board.
Glen noted that the Pine County Township Officer’s Association will meet at 9:00am at the American Legion in Hinckley.
The Reorganization has been set for April 6, 2011 at 7:30pm at the Town Hall followed by the Board of Supervisors Meeting.
The Board of Appeal and Equalization has been set for April 13, 2011 at 10:00am at the Wilma Town Hall.
Glen motioned that the next Annual Meeting be held at the Wilma Town Hall on the second Tuesday in March at 8:00pm. The alternate date will be at 9:00am the next day. Seconded by Eldon, motion passed.
Glen asked for further discussion and there was none.
Mail in Ballots. Patrice noted that some elections are going to mail in. Marge and Eldon do not want it. Patrice said they take time, but are about 1/3 less, however once you get one you cannot get another even if the ballot is spoiled. We could save about $300. Eldon worries anyone unable to read it would be cheated. Glen noted that it is not an issue to discuss here. Motion to keep elections the same as in past, seconded by Toni. Some discussion noting Gary and Patrice think they are too personal. Eldon suggested it be tabled because there were not very many people there. Gary withdrew his motion and the subject was tabled.
Eldon asked to get copies of all past meetings. Patrice said she would give them to him as the Clerk will be out of town.
Gary motioned to adjourn and Gary seconded. Meeting adjourned at 10:00pm
Toni Williamson, Deputy Clerk